This episode of Pretty Little Liars is intense. Just two away from the mid-season finale, “Exes and OMGs” cranks the tension up a notch and sets up for what could be a great finale.
We’re hot on the heels of finding out about Charlotte’s brother or sister. Couple that with A.D.’s threat, and this episode becomes a wild ride.
Hanna is the Liar who really stands out this episode!
Ashley Benson kills it during this episode. We see Hanna go through a gambit of emotions: fear over a dream involving Caleb getting mowed down by a car, anger over no one believing her, and finally determination.
The best part is: all of this feel like it has been in the works since day one.
Remember early in the series? When we first met Hanna? How she was cast in the light of someone who was an Ali wannabe?
Remember how the police thought she was a suspect because she changed her hair, lost some weight, and as a result looked so much like Ali? She even became the new “IT” girl at Rosewood High.
This Hanna, 23-year-old Hanna, is light years away from that girl. We’ve seen the Liars spin theories before. We’ve seen them claim that someone is “A.”
It’s easy to dismiss Hanna’s rambling in this episode as another half-baked theory, but she really believes it.
It’s almost like Hanna is the Cassandra figure of the group. She’s the one who has all this foresight and the curse of never being believed. She’s become a strategist and she’s working a plan.
It’s a plan that she is willing to risk her life for, and after five A-free years, who can blame her?
This isn’t the first time that she’s done this. Last season, Hanna set up a rat trap with herself as the cheese when she confessed to killing Charlotte in “Did You Miss Me?” and “Hush…Hush, Sweet Liars,” but she had the backup of all her friends.
We saw how well that turned out in the season premiere, “Tick-Tock Bitches,” with Hanna being held captive. Hanna is dealing with some post-traumatic stress this episode. The thing is, she’s going through it without a lot of support and the decisions she’s making may not be the most sound.
So when she says goodbye to Caleb and goes off on her own after making a mysterious phone call, we are genuinely worried about her well-being.
While we’re happy to see her step up into this strong woman who she has been on the road to becoming since Season 1, it also has us asking one question:
Is Pretty Little Liars really the story of Hanna Marin coming into her own?
- Does anyone else have mixed feelings regarding Paige’s return? She was so happy to get out of Rosewood and now she comes back? Timing seems really curious.
- Quote of the week goes to Emily: “Aria, take a breath. It’s been proven to prevent explosions in small women!”
- What did Spencer find in the photo album? I am starting to think Mr. DiLaurentis is the father of each and every Liar. Aren’t Spencer and Jason already half-siblings?
- Ali going back to work is a great storyline. I am happy to see her get back on the horse, but man, those kids are cruel to her. Those students in her class better heed her warnings.
- So, if Ezra finds Nicole, is Ezria done?
What did you think of this episode of Pretty Little Liars? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Pretty Little Liars airs Tuesdays at 8/7c on Freeform